Since starting my blog 12 months ago here’s what I have learnt:
- Just do it – if you’re thinking of starting a blog but you’re a bit shy… Just Do It!
- You will make friends – it’s so unreal how many people I call friends (albeit my ‘blogging friends’) since I have started this journey. People I would never have crossed paths with if it hadn’t been for blogging but I’m so glad to have met them
- Be unapologetic – everyone has their own opinion but do not be afraid to express the real you. People appreciate when you are yourself but granted you may not be everyone’s cuppa but who cares?! Speak yo mind!
- Pictures are hard to take! – So for anyone who doesn’t blog, I don’t think you realise how hard it is to take a GOOD picture, like seriously! I have never edited so much and my photography has a looooonnnnnnggggg way to go! But seriously, appreciate that good shot when you see it cos it would’ve taken time!
- Writers block- Sometimes you get stuck, there’s no real reason you just do! If you’re like me at times I hit blanks and feel I’ve lost myself in blogging or I become really busy with you know, real life and I lack the motivation to write. I try not to force posting at this stage because I think it really shows. It’s ok to take breaks and not be made to feel guilty either.
- Get social – Being a blogger, we really need to get out there on social media. Twitter is key for me in terms of chats and RT pages, they’re really helpful for getting content out. Also Bloglovin is a great way to keep all the blogs we enjoy reading in one place. Instagram usually works alongside my blog and I have the same name across all platforms which I think is useful when people are searching for you.
- Self hosted – I learned shortly after creating Shannon Kara that I wanted to go self hosted meaning that I could have a nicer template than the usual ones on WordPress.com. Being self hosted meant that I had to get clued up quite quickly on maintaining my own website, making sure updates are completed regular and a whole lot more. It’s definitely a challenge and a learning curve and I’m sure I will learn a whole lot more along the way!
I have really enjoyed blogging for most parts of the year but there have been times I haven’t been motivated. I started Shannon Kara as a hobby and now it’s something that I want to take more seriously. It’s a nice outlet to have a creative online space to do with it as I please. I have plans to create better content and incorporate more fashion into the blog so watch this space!
I want to say a BIG THANK YOU to those who read Shannon Kara and have a giveaway running which ends today at 6pm! All you have to do is head over to my Twitter and click the follow button plus RT my pinned Tweet. I will announce the winner at 7pm so good luck!
Thank you for reading! xx
Keep up with me on my socials